29 April 2010

Spring Cooking

As April comes to a close (is it really May already?), I’ve been thinking more and more about fresh, hearty dishes inspired by the onset of spring. So, instead of posting another recipe, I encourage you to get out the market and scope out the fresh produce and use this as your inspiration for a meal. If you are one of my tens of readers, you should be familiar enough with my slow food cooking style - letting flavors mingle and come together with low heats and long simmers. Take inspiration from my recipes and go out and create your own. Use parsnips in lieu of carrots in your mirepoix. Use shallots instead of onions for a wonderfully unique flavor. Look for fresh herbs that you can roast vegetables with, season a stock and marinade with. Make a pesto or a chili paste to your own liking. Now, more than ever, should be your time to experiment. Still chilly enough outside to want to stay indoors but not gloomy and dark, as winter can sometimes be. Choose simple ingredients with bold flavors and find something you never knew you liked.

Come next week, I’m sure you’ll like what I have put together with the produce around me. Hopefully, you will get inspired as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online